Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Two Dads

My daddy, Hugh, died twelve years ago.

For years we butted heads with each other. I didn't always appreciate him. A lot of the time I focused more on his flaws than on his heart.

I still miss him.

I credit him with my strong work ethic and my love of learning. He instilled in me the idea that I could do anything I wanted if I just put my mind to it. He ingrained in me the idea that education was the key to success in this life.

He was funny and a great-storyteller. He was scary-smart and gave the best bear-hugs. He could fix anything and I thought he was indestructible.

He had high expectations of me and therefore I had high expectations for myself. If I have achieved anything that required hard work, I owe it to him.

He also loved Jesus and I know He's celebrating Father's Day today with Our Heavenly Father.

But I still miss him.



But today I also want to honor my other dad, Bill.

He married my mom when I was 16. He bought me my first pair of Guess jeans and high-top Reeboks. (I just really dated myself!) He took us to Disney World. He was (is) so fun and generous.

But most of all, he loved me. He loved me just the way I was and was my biggest cheerleader.

He's the funniest, smartest, kindest man I know. He will do anything for anybody. He's always available to lend a helping hand or encouraging word.

He loves Jesus more than anything.

And he's so good to my Mama. I love him for that.

He's the best Pappa to my girls that I could ever ask for.

Happy Father's Day, Bill!

I love you.

4 comments:

Mich said...

Oh, we love Mr. Bill too! He has always been a special man in Kev's life. Please give him a hug for us next time you see him. (and your beautiful mom too!)

Have a great Father's Day!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for this post, Lisa. I miss my Dad though it has been a good number of years since he went to his heavenly home.

Amber said...

What a great tribute, Lisa.

You are very blessed!

Carpool Queen said...

Neat post, friend.