Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Christmas Sweater

Many of you know I'm a HUGE Glenn Beck fan. If you don't know who Glenn is the first thing I would say is "What the heck is wrong with you?! Have you been living under a rock?! and the second thing I would say is please click here. Glenn has a new book called "The Christmas Sweater" which you can purchase here. And you should, you really should. I'm actually holding my breath in giddy anticipation that my hubby remembered to order an autographed copy for me. We'll see. Well, anyhoo, Glenn also performs a stage show based on the book. We weren't able to go see it live, much to my dismay, but we did get to go last night to Tinseltown and see it simulcast live.

It. was. incredible!

Oh my! I do believe Glenn is the most talented person I don't really know. (And the smartest--if Glenn ever tells you to get out of the stock market and invest in gold, you really should listen. I didn't and if I had I would be much wiser and much richer today.) The coolest part is that the book, and therefore the show, is based on his life. I don't want to say too much and give anything away so you'll just have to read the book. I do, however, want to share some of the thoughts that it provoked in me.

First, I was struck by the sincerity and authenticity of Glenn. I appreciate so much his willingness to open himself up to the ridicule and criticism he is bound to receive in order to share this beautiful story with us. I think what I like best about Glenn is that he is one of us. He is a radio personality, tv personality and an author but before he is any of those things he is a husband, a dad, a friend and a Christian. His humility is inspiring.

Second, with specific regard to the plot of the story, if Eddie's mom had taken out a credit card so she could go buy Eddie exactly what he wanted for Christmas (which is what most parent's today would do) Eddie would have missed out on the most important, life-changing lesson of his whole life. It made me think about the disservice we do our children when we cater to their every whim. How will they learn to appreciate anything if we hand them everything they want? How sad to live your life in constant want, never satisfied, never appreciative, never recognizing the blessings all around you. The blessings of family, friends and faith. These are the finer things of life. Have I taught my children to be grateful for them? Do they see evidence of gratitude in my life?

Third, life is hard. Bad stuff happens to good people. We all face our own storms. When we do, we often cry out to God to deliver us from the storm when what He really desires is to deliver us through it. In His infinite wisdom our loving Father knows that we must go through the storm in order to be who He created us to be. The storm changes us. It's up to us to decide how.

I don't profess to understand it or even like it. But I do know God is good...all the time. I trust in His nature, His excellent lovingkindess. I put my trust under the shadow of His wings.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Such good reminders, Lisa...thanks.

Really need to read that book! You have a copy already (just not the autographed one?)...can I borrow it?

Becky said...

I've been living under my rock here in Benton! Never heard of him until now but I avoid talk radio at all costs. However, his book sounds good...may have to check it out.