Friday, November 14, 2008

Randomness

I'm not sure that's a word but I like it anyway. It's been a few days since I posted so I thought maybe you might be worried about me. :-) So here's a few thoughts that are floating around in my brain...

Did you watch the shuttle launch tonight? It's unusual for NASA to have a nightime launch and it was really neat. Did you know that one and a half minutes into the launch the shuttle has burned so much fuel that it weighs half of what it did when it took off? Wow. If you ever get a chance to go to Kennedy Space Center you should. We went a few years ago. In fact, we were there shortly after the Columbia accident. Things were pretty sombre but it was still impressive. You really don't get a feel for the immense size of the thing when you watch on tv. We're so used to these launches these days that it hardly even makes the news. But have you ever really thought about what an accomplishment it is every time one of those ginormous (another non-word that I love)shuttles launches? Think about the intricate details involved and even the tiniest flaw can be disastrous. Think about the incredible brain-power required to figure out how to get this huge chunk of metal into space. I mean, in less than 3 minutes the thing is leaving our atmosphere. It's mind-boggling!

On a totally different subject, have you tried the new Candy Cane Oreos? Oh. My. Word. They taste like Girl Scout Thin Mints! I feel a little guilty for not sharing them with my family before they left for the deer camp. But not too guilty.

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I missed the shuttle launch, but after reading this, you make me wish I'd seen it.

Have a great weekend!